Blorgchive

Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Parent's Perspective on Video Games



Of course all images used are © Nintendo. I used all Nintendo consoles specifically because they're the only brand name that I can think of that has been in the console market from the 3rd right up to the 8th generations. Yeah yeah, I know, stratifying the gaming industry into discrete generations is subject to interpretation, screw you, in Wikipedia we trust. SEE???

This is pretty much how it evolved in my family, though I've heard a lot of similar stories through the grapevine. My parents (Mr. and Ms. Johnny-Come-Lately) got us our first NES halfheartedly hoping for it to be a family entertainment machine. We all played our fair share of Super Mario before my brother and I came to prefer the Megaman franchise and my dad retired to mostly playing Sub Hunt and Tetris.

By the SNES era (we actually got a Genesis instead) the love affair with gaming had become notably generational and my folks started to resent the shiny plastic cartridges more and more as they became like crack to my brother and I.

We missed the Playstation bus, but shortly afterwards started clamoring for an N64 (how can you play a video game off a CD, anyway?). Our parents responded with a passive-aggressive "Why? You're almost in your teens, for crying out loud."  By the summer of 1998 they finally caved.

A PS2 and GameCube just kinda materialized in our rec-room shortly after I started highschool, and I couldn't tell you how. I sure didn't buy them, and I never heard any deliberative talks leading up to their appearances. I'm guessing my folks probably bought them quietly for my little brother. By that point, as long as grades didn't suffer, they didn't really bother to say anything in objection to the now-familiar contraptions that had once been livingroom novelties.

Like many I know, our family got a Wii long before we got any other of it's competitors. In fact, we had both gotten our own apartments before a PS3 or 360 appeared in either of our lives. Surprisingly my parents, especially my mother, conceded that "what the heck, Wii Sports is actually pretty fun." At one point shortly after moving out I asked my mom if she was still using the Wii for anything, thinking for sure it'd been gathering dust. She promptly responded, "Yes actually, there's Wii Fit. I jog on it every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment